Tampa, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: If I had a baby not being married, the father is not on birth certificate, do I have to let him see baby?

The father has not helped financially at all, he’s even questioned DNA, he has two other children from previous relationship and has nothing to do with them. I recently found out he now has another woman pregnant and also he’s on drugs and have proof.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Camila Martin
Camila Martin
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Miami Lakes, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If he has not been adjudicated the Father by a Court, he has no legal right to have timesharing with the child. He will have to file a Petition for Paternity in Court to be adjudicated the Father and request timesharing. At that point, you could present your evidence and witnesses regarding his drug use and this could limit his contact with the child if the Judge determines it will not be in the best interest of the child.

DISCLAIMER: The answer provided here do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made are based on the limited facts you have provided and are general statements that might not be applicable to your case based on other factors. We do not have an attorney-client relationship and you should consult with a local attorney. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in the State of Florida. Camila Martin, Esq.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.