Midlothian, TX asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Employment Law for Texas

Q: 1. If employer forces arbitration agreement for employment, can they threaten to take legal action in employee handbook?

I was questioned by HHS at our facility there investigating a report, anonymously made of neglect. I confirmed and reported other things that I knew about.

I took a lunch break and was suspended when I returned. Terminated 3 days later

They had the DRP in my suspension letter.

Then emailed me a cease and desist letter that said if I did not comply they would proceed with taking any and all necessary legal action against you in accordance with federal and state law, including but not limited to, asserting claims for tortious interference with contract.

2. I thought they were bound to the terms of the agreement as well?

3. How do I find an attorney that will fight the arbitration so I can proceed with taking any and all necessary legal actions against them?

1 Lawyer Answer
David H. Relkin
David H. Relkin
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: Their actions, as you describe them are odious. Yes, they are bound by the written agreement which, as you say (I believe) provides for arbitration. In addition, there may be legal impropriety in their obtaining knowledge of the HHS report.

If you like I can review the agreement for arbitration. I am able to handle arbitrations across the Country.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.