Eugene, OR asked in Consumer Law and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: Can my landlord disable echeck and have me pay using my debit card on there website that charges 50$ on top of my rent

My landlord is having my family use their website and they disabled echeck so when we do pay for rent it charges 50$ extra on top of my rent

1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: IF you are allowed to also pay in cash or check, without a surcharge, and the credit card processing company charges the landlord $50 to process your payment, it may (or may not) be legal (the law specifies it may be legal under the above circumstances for the landlord to pass along charges for credit card payments. The statute says nothing about debit card payments. I suspect though that a Judge might allow it IF there are alternate methods of paying without incurring the extra fee. If there are not, then I think you likely have a strong case against the landlord. Review everything with a local landlord-tenant attorney to learn your exact rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.