Las Vegas, NV asked in Immigration Law for Nevada

Q: I have been here illegally for over 20 years, came over on an F1. I have decided to return home in a few weeks...

to Singapore. My father has cancer and cannot fly so I plan to go to him. My plan was to go to the airport with my valid passport but expired visa and leave. Any advice on if this is the right course of action.

would love to know I won't be detained and miss my flight.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL

A: OK so anyone who has overstayed his visa by more than 12 months and exits the United States is then barred from returning to the United States for a period of 10 years. If you have overstayed your visa by 20 years and then leave to go back to Singapore, you will not under immigration law be able to return to the United States for a period of 10 years.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.