Manchester, MA asked in Real Estate Law for Massachusetts

Q: Real Estate attorney had me sign quitclaim and contract selling properties to my ex, have not received docs with his sig

Met with Real Estate attorney Thursday morning to sign 2 quitclaim deeds and a contract selling my share of joint properties over to my ex husband... He told me not to cash any checks, he would be meeting with my ex to get his signatures later that day, and would send me all signed documents that evening... I have not heard from him or ex in 3 days... I sent the following email to attorney: "Can you kindly update me with the status of the documents-- When you left our meeting Thursday morning you told me not to cash any checks, that you were unable to reach ex by phone, that you would be meeting with him later in the day to confirm the changes made in the paperwork, get his approval and signatures on all the documents, and that I would have all copies emailed to me later that day to complete the deal/transfer... I have not yet heard from you, have no signed documents, no signed contract, and no paperwork to complete the transaction between ex and I"-- What can I do???

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Usually attorneys have clients execute documents and then hold the documents while awaiting checks to be received such as checks from mortgage companies funding refinances for example.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.