Toledo, OH asked in Civil Rights, Juvenile Law and Real Estate Law for Ohio

Q: Can I kick out my child once they turn 18 or do I have to legally evict from my home?

Said child is a troubled youth to put nicely with a list of juvenile offenses and a domestic violence. He has a drug addiction and has stolen from myself as well as his brothers and causes much turmoil in the home. Some say I have to evict since he receives mail other's say no. I am trying to make sure of my legal rights as a parent. The juvenile court system has been of no help in trying to stop his behavior and unruly actions.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If you don't follow the proper eviction process, then he could sue you for unlawful eviction, and the court might order you to pay him monetary damages. But the eviction process takes a few weeks, and the situation could become uncomfortable at home during that time. If he makes threats of physical harm, you could call the police, file a report, and try to get a restraining order to keep him out. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local real estate attorney who handles residential evictions to review the situation and advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.