Franklin, NC asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Collections for North Carolina

Q: I need to reply to a summons, 6 1/2 hours away in anther sate. Debt is time bared. How do I deal with this?

I had a loan from a bank in Tifton, GA. I paid as promised until I lost my job. Even then I paid them $ 3,000 in Aug of 2013. At that time I asked for the debt to be forgiven. I NEVER heard from the bank again. No letter, no payment book as promised, if, it would not be forgiven. No registered letter, nothing. I signed the loan renewal in Aug of 2013, in NC, not GA. Now I'm being sued 9 years later, in GA court. Statue of limitations in NC for written note is 3 years, this has passed. Statue of limitation is GA is 6 years for same, this has passed. How can I be sued in GA and live in NC? Based on what I read, the debt is time bared. But, if I don't respond to the summons, they can get a judgement anyway? WHAT? I live 6 1/2 hours away and have 25 days to respond. What do I need to do?

I also, unfortunately have stage 4 cancer, and not able to travel that far. Wasn't my choice.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You need to hire a lawyer in Georgia ASAP to handle this for you. If you do not answer, a default judgment will be entered against you, and you lose your right to plead your statute of limitation defense. Some loan contracts are signed "under seal", which gives a 10 year statute of limitation here in NC. I am not licensed in GA, but I assume their law is similar. You can probably be sued in GA because the loan was taken out in GA and you agreed to allow them to sue in GA. I don't know what you mean by a loan renewal, but it sounds like you signed a new loan agreement - so it doesn't matter how old the previous loan was. Please contact a GA licensed attorney ASAP - directly, not through an online forum like this. Search for consumer bankruptcy lawyers near the county in GA where you were sued. They should know of a local attorney who will defend these kind of collection lawsuits. Good luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.