Los Angeles, CA asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for California

Q: Does the California Supreme Court hear all cases ? How to appeal to them?

If I lost in appellette Supreme Court how do I appeal to the CA Supreme Court? Is there any help if I have no money for an attorney ?

It involves the catholic church and my first amendment right. I was prosecuted by the City Attorney and catholic church. A jury found me not guilty. But I want FACTUALLY INNocent. They lied it never happened. The law I was prosecuted under is unconstitutional. I am willing to take my case all the way.

1 Lawyer Answer
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The California Supreme Court does not hear all cases which are brought to it. The Court decides which cases it will hear, usually based on some criteria which involves state wide policy on issues of compelling importance. Consequently, the odds the state supreme court will accept your case are probably minimal, or very slight.

I'm sure the issues are very important to you, but without knowing what they are it is most difficult to give you good advice on this platform.

Importantly, you only have a very limited period of time available to you within which to petition the supreme court to hear your case. Depending on the date of the decision you received from the appellate court, you most likely will have to file your petition for hearing within 30 to 40 days from the date of the appellate court decision. That means the time is running out for you already. Only rarely does the state supreme court take cases brought by parties without a lawyer. It is very rare, but it has happened in the past.

Find an appellate lawyer really soon, immediately, and send her/him a copy of the court of appeal decision asap. If you don't, you will lose your right to petition for review of your case.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.