Fort Worth, TX asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Oklahoma

Q: Is a protective order case the right venue to file an indirect contempt of court?

When emergency protective order was made, the petitioner added special condition that once a week the defendant would receive a phone call from a restricted number to be able to speak with minor child. The petitioner has only called twice in a year.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: I think your first step is to have an attorney review what you have. If there is no existing custody order, your next step should be to obtain an initial custody determination in the District Court. Then, that order can be enforced. Hire an attorney to help you get this done.

Best of luck.

Charles Watts agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.