Schaumburg, IL asked in Divorce and Child Support for Illinois

Q: My daughter is 18 and graduated this coming up June. I just found out she will be not going to school after January 1st

Because she has enough credits. Do I still need to pay child support until the actual graduation in June or when she officially stops going to high school?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
J. Richard Kulerski
J. Richard Kulerski
  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I cannot imagine anyone being able to give you an authoritative answer because the law never anticipated this type of thing happening. The law is clear that you must pay child support until the child reaches 18 or GRADUATES from H.S., whichever is last to occur. It doesn't cover what should happen if the child finishes H.S., but doesn't graduate for another five or so months. Your question does not state if the child has attained the age of 18. This would begood to know, but it won't answer your question.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.