Eugene, OR asked in Landlord - Tenant, Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Oregon

Q: What can a tenant do after being attacked by a landlord who let themselvs into the rental unnanounced and hostile.

A tenant awakes to his landlord (who is also his mother), inside of his apartment. The landlord is drunk and aggressively harrassing the tenant who was telling the landlord to leave. Landlord refuses to leave, and physically attacks tenant ,causes huge scene. Once the landlord his practically pushed outside the door of this apartment, the landlords partner(tenants father) then breaks window in the tenats front door trying to break the door open, while tenant is desperately holding the door shut. Can a land lord do this? Note: landlord entered with out any notice or reasoning except to aggressively harrass the tenant, this apartment is not connected to the landlords home, and rent was paid on time monthly.

1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You need to immediately talk with a local landlord tenant attorney. You likely have damage claims against the landlord and perhaps criminal as well. Anytime you tell a landlord to leave the inside of your home (or anyone else for that matter) and they do not, call the police!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.