Thomasville, AL asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Alabama

Q: It has been raining in my apartment due to storm damage over a year. Where can I get help with a matter like this?

I (we) have reached out to many people about this. Other tenants have been to the mayor ,sheriff and health department as a group. No one will come. Not even a bad area. We are right beside an elementary school. The Health Department wont come just this week after a year of calling did I finally get to speak to him, still nothing. My ceiling finally collapsed about two weeks ago. It is and has been full of black mole.It made me sick. Thank God I have a vehicle to " BORROW". After I informed other tenants of the clear of present danger they're in, because ceiling is not done falling and as I said full of black mole. They first had me in a motel for a week never start working. I check out and go back to my apt the mngr comes a while later asking what was doing there she tells me I wasn't suppose to leave. But she didn't handle that right I feel.They then put me in a motel instead of a hotel. Way more to this and videos undeniable evidence.

1 Lawyer Answer
Travis T Juneau
Travis T Juneau
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: If your apartment is uninhabitable and you have made the landlord aware and the landlord has failed to improve conditions and make the home habitable then you are allowed to break the lease and move. If you get sued by your former landlord for breaking the lease you will have a recognized defense. However, it will up to you to show that the home was uninhabitable when you left. There may be other steps you can take if the State is paying some of the rent for you via voucher or other means but, there is no cause of action in Alabama for a landlord failing to fix an apartment. your remedy is to move.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.