North Hollywood, CA asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Gov & Administrative Law and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: What to do If my old landlord violates/breach of court orderd contract from his obligations to give me good reference

I have multiple recorded violations/breach of contract from x-landlord.I obtain them from homeowners/property managers who were considering me for tendency but was turned down because of my x landlords malicious/false bad referrals which he was court ordered not to give. I'm homeless/living in an rv on the streets for four months now unable to obtain an apt or home.he has also accepted 4,500 of covid rental assistance money for future rent payment on behalf and I am not living at his property. Can I sue him for that money? And for his breach of contract? If so what all can I sue him for for his continuous breach of contract resulting in my current now 4 month homeless position?

1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathon Maddox
Jonathon Maddox
  • Redding, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: There's several pieces to this. First off, you mention that he was "court-ordered not to give", which would imply there's already been a case and judgment on him in regards to his recorded breaches prior to you moving out? If so, then the discussion would be on your issue specifically over the past 4 months. If he was court ordered not to give these specific false referrals, then you can go to the local magistrate and explain the situation and have the courts/law enforcement handle him, as there should already be a restraining order outstanding. If that isn't the case, then you've already misrepresented the facts, and you would need to get a consultation with a lawyer to handle a possible defamation and interference with a contract. You've already claimed the referrals were "false", but if the landlord reasonably saw it the way he's telling it, you don't have much room to maneuver. You'd need specifics on what was said and proof that they were false.

Secondly, you have zero control or standing on his covid assistance. That is between him and the government. You aren't entitled to it. You may have a case in regards to the breach of his court order/defamation, but you wouldn't have any control over his covid assistance funds.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.