Little Elm, TX asked in Contracts and Insurance Bad Faith for Texas

Q: Can Knights of Columbus refuse to cancel my life insurance policy? They won't let me change beneficiaries or cancel.

I have been divorced for a long time. I've recently remarried and I'm updating my insurance beneficiary with Knights of Columbus. They asked for a copy of my divorce decree and replied with this: It appears the divorce decree did not have any information concerning your KOFC policy. We cannot change the beneficiary without a letter of relinquishment from the former spouse confirming they no longer have interest in his Knights of Columbus Policies (signed, dated, and notarized). I was shocked and said I wanted to cancel the policy but KofC said they can't do that without my ex-wife permission. Am I crazy? Surely they cannot force me to pay for a life insurance policy for my ex wife just because they are not specifically listed in the divorce decree. Nowhere in the decree does it say I am required to pay for life insurance coverage of any kind for her.

1 Lawyer Answer
Leroy Scott
Leroy Scott
  • Insurance Claims Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: 1. Because Texas is a community property state, when an insured is/was married, it can cause problems for a beneficiary later on because the surviving spouse can claim that s/he is entitled to some of the policy payout.

2. If you don't pay the premiums, the policy will simply lapse.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.