North Hollywood, CA asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Criminal Law and Family Law for California

Q: Noncustodial party convicted of fraud in support claim. Can custodial party have case info sealed?

Single, solo dad here, Los Angeles, with full physical/legal custody of my son for more than five years now. Shortly after the other parent lost all custody rights years ago, she filed a child support claim from a different county, and collected thousands of dollars, with the County of L.A. CSD suing me based on just a filing by the noncustodial parent. After easily proving to the child support division that it was a fraudulent claim, the noncustodial parent was charged, pleaded guilty to, and convicted of WIC 10980(C)(2), with a dismissal of a charge of PC 118(A).

Today, years later, this fraudulent child support case is the very first thing to appear online (via when Googling my complete name. There's no mention of the child support case being dismissed, just my name attached to a fraudulent child support case.

Do I have any legal recourse to have this case sealed so it's no longer available, or for Trellis to remove it?

Thank you for reading!

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: more info is needed.

i would retain a lawyer in your area to make a motion to add to the calendar and then move to remove it from your record with the proper evidence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.