Clearwater, FL asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Florida

Q: At home insemination Via sperm donor

I will soon be having a baby through at home insemination Via sperm donor. Me and the sperm donor agreed to sign his Rights away. How do I go about this? And how do I get a contract. Also would that paper work hold up in court if it came down to it? I’m not familiar with Florida law bc I’m not from here. Can same sec couple sign the birth certificate?

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I'm amused by your description of old fashioned copulation. Whether an agreement to waive paternal rights may or may not hold up in court.

And, as to the paperwork being signed by a same-sex couple, I assume both partners are women, one of them being the birth mother and the other one the mother's partner. While perhaps an affidavit of paternity can be signed by a woman, it would obviously be perjury; a crime.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.