Magnolia, TX asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Texas

Q: In a descendant's trust can it be left to a descendant's spouse?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: You can do that intentionally when designing your estate plan, yes.

Paul Premack
Paul Premack
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • San Antonio, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Yes. However, it must be done carefully. For instance, if you simply list the current spouse by name, but then the descendant later divorces that person, that person is still an heir because he/she was listed by name. There is case law in Texas where the court awarded money to the named individual, even after being divorced from the descendant and even though the descendant had remarried.

So, your attorney should say something like "this share goes to my son David, but if David is not then living to his wife Sarah on condition that they were married on the date of his death. If they were not married on the date of David's death, then this share goes to ___".

Paul Premack, JD, CELA

The Premack Law Office

Phone in TX: 210-826-1122

Phone in WA: 206-905-1122



Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the National Elder Law Foundation

as accredited by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and the ABA.

Licensed to practice law in Texas and Washington State

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.