Dearborn Heights, MI asked in Real Estate Law for Michigan

Q: I have a house in Wayne County. My now ex wife is on the title. I need to get her off the title. Lived in for 2 yrs.

What are my options to get her name off the title. I don't want to sell the house. I can't make contact with her due to the claims she made. We can't meet in person it has to go through our family attorney for questions. What can I do to get her off the title hassle free.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
David Soble
David Soble
  • Farmington Hills, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You can go back to the court with the initial jurisdiction on the file, and petition the court to order that the subject property be refinanced or sold. If your ex - spouse won't cooperate after that, then they would be violating the court's order. Hope this helps.

For more information related to real estate issues, see

Kenneth V Zichi agrees with this answer

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Mr Soble is correct, but BEFORE you do that, it would be wise to review the final judgment in the domestic court. Was the house disposed of in that document? You MAY be able to simply record the judgment to remove her name if it was done completely and correctly.

If not, you will need to petition the court as Mr Soble says to resolve things.

THE FIRST STEP however, is to seek the counsel of a local divorce/real estate attorney to review the paperwork and determine whether or not you need to go back to court.

-- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.