Greenwood, IN asked in Domestic Violence for Washington

Q: If I called police because Of threat of domestic violence, they didnt make arrest but do they file report of the call?

I called police on my husband because I was scared for my life, although there were no visible injuries but I had panic attack, so they didnt make any arrest. Do they file report of the call made without charges being pressed? Or they dismiss it and not keep in record? I need a copy of report if they filed it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stacie Lynn Naczelnik
Stacie Lynn Naczelnik
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Seattle, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: The police will often create an incident report. If you called 911, you can request the call records, but they don't keep them for very long, so you should make that request ASAP. The incident reports will remain available, but you will need to request those records directly from the law enforcement agency that responded (for example, a specific county sheriff department, specific city police department, etc.).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.