Newport Beach, CA asked in Probate and Real Estate Law for Maryland

Q: Can mortgage company foreclose on a home owned solely by my brother whose estate is in probate?

Brother died intestate on 8/13/2021. Probate court date is 27 October, at which time personal representative will be selected. Creditors will have 6 months to come forward. House is major asset and there are insufficient cash funds in the estate at present to pay mortgage payments. Equity in the home is sufficient to cover my incurred funeral expenses (just under the limit) plus mortgage balance, probate fees. Mortgage is already 30+ (but not yet 60) days overdue. We fear the mortgagor can foreclose on property and auction/sell it for loan balance alone before probate closes, leaving no assets to cover funeral expenses, probate costs, etc.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: No chance the mortgage company can foreclose and sell that fast. It takes at least 90 days of no mortgage payments to trigger the foreclosure notices, and if the PR communicates to the mortgage company the death of the borrower and that an estate is open and the house will be sold, then they will hold off and wait rather than foreclose. Hire an estate lawyer to manage this estate and file the appropriate paperwork, accounting, and to deal with the mortgage company. The foreclosure process takes a long time and is expensive for the mortgage company. They will get paid more and faster if they allow the PR to sell the house.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.