Wenatchee, WA asked in Libel & Slander and Employment Law for Washington

Q: Do I have grounds to sue for defamation of character?

Last year false allegations were made about me and they were determined unfounded by police. I recently quit a job to take another and discovered that the coworkers who had made the false allegations last year worked there. I called my employer and explained what had happened last year. I was then told since there would be conflict I would not be brought on the team. I had already been offered the position.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brad S Kane
Brad S Kane
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: I am sorry this happened to you. You may have a claim for defamation. Please keep in mind you that the employer may not want to get involved and even deny stating the reason for withdrawing the offer. You should attempt to confirm it in writing in a text or email. In addition, you should immediately look for other work to mitigate your damages.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.