Asked in Criminal Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Oklahoma

Q: I had a misdemeanor possession of marijuana arrest in 1972. Sentence was deferred and completed successfully.

Record was expunged and sealed. I'm trying to get arrest and/or court records now but the arresting agency and county clerk of the court have no records. The arrest still shows up on my national background check but without any related charges or court decisions. How can I get that info?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: That was a long time ago. I’m guessing you might have trouble locating your attorney but that’s always the first place to start. There are different types of expungements under Oklahoma statutory law. Sounds like maybe you only took the expungement granted by the Court (Judge) but might not have retained an attorney to file a petition for a 991 expungement which is a much deeper cleansing of the trail and any remaining records. Contact and Attorney who specializes in expungements and run this situation past them and I’m confident they will be able to assist you (or at least answer your questions).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.