Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas

Q: My cousin was charged with smuggling in Crystal City, tx. He has never been in trouble. Could he get off w/probation?

He was convinced to give a ride to some people he didn't know by a friend of a friend. Being young(21), he did it for the money, not thinking of the consequences. The friend was driving his car when they got pulled over and they both got arrested. What the chances of him getting off or getting probation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Hamilton Rodgers
Michael Hamilton Rodgers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If this is a federal case, he sounds like a minor player in the criminal operation. It is imperative that he searches out and hires an experienced criminal defense lawyer with substantial federal court background. He should not, repeat not, try to hire an ex-federal prosecutor in the hopes that he'll get a better deal. Many former assistant U.S. attorneys transition over after they leave government work and become excellent defense lawyers, but this is never a foregone conclusion. Before hiring anyone, tell him to ask the attorney if he or she has ever won a jury trial in a federal criminal case.

Again, your cousin should talk to a couple of lawyers and hire someone ASAP. Every day which goes by that he doesn't have a lawyer defending him is a day he moves closer to prison. Good luck to him and to your family!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.