Graham, NC asked in Divorce for North Carolina

Q: I have a copy of the free traders agreement and the register of deeds cannot use a copy.

Can I reach out to my spouse attorney to get the original document so I can record it myself.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Allan King
David Allan King
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If you also have a separation agreement in place, it will likely specify that your spouse must cooperate with anything reasonable and necessary to effectuate the terms of the agreement. If it is reasonable and necessary to file an original with the register of deeds to effectuate the terms, then the contract would require their cooperation. However, it may make more sense to make 3 or so originals (real-ink signatures on three copies), so you don't have the problem in the future.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.