Spokane, WA asked in Employment Law and Landlord - Tenant for Washington

Q: Is my employer illegally making me pay more for rent than is allowed by Washington state plus some?


Well I work 5 days a week and I'm the general manager along with being the maintenance guy. I am the only one usually working here. I am also on call 24/7 and 7 day a week with the emergency phone. I am required to live on property. I am in a 2 bedroom apartment which is small. and I believe I am being charged too much for my rent along with them making me pay November rent for the 1 bedroom unit I moved from even though I was officially out of the one bedroom on October 31st. They are having me pay for the one bedroom unit I just moved from and I know that's illegal also. Rent for a 2 bedroom here for a tenant is $950..I am paying $700 and they are trying to count the percentage off my rent as part of my paycheck. This is only some of what my employer is doing. Need advice and knowledge.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brad S Kane
Brad S Kane
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Under the Federal Labor Standards Act, your employer can only make deductions from your wages is several requirements are met. Even then, the wages deductions must be actual cost with no profit. For more info go to:



You may also be entitled to compensation for your on call time.

You can file a complaint with the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries at:


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.