Rochester, MI asked in Landlord - Tenant for Michigan

Q: I own the home I've been paying my ex to live in for the last 2 yrs while I was away. I'm back, he won't leave.

We've been divorced for 14 years. Living separately. He had been living in a room above a store for a few years. I met someone and wanted to move out of my house to be with this person. Not necessarily forever, but to give it a try. I had cats at my house and needed to let them remain there. My ex agreed to live in my house and take care of the cats and the house. I paid him well for this service. The agreement was that if it didn't work out for me with this person I met, I'd go back to my house and get my ex set up somewhere else. This has happened. He won't leave, won't discuss other living options and is threatening lawsuits. He believes that I'm supposed to continue supporting him financially forever, it seems. I cannot believe that he has any legal stand here. Does he?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Your ex is a tenant. Unless there is a written lease, his tenancy is at will. Doesn't really matter what your agreement was. You will likely have to evict him. To start, you will need to serve him with a 30 day notice to quit. Could he come back at you under some other legal theory? Perhaps. Perhaps under a contract theory for breaching the contract for you to pay him to take care of the cats. But there appears to only be one way to get him out of your house legally at this point.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.