Mountlake Terrace, WA asked in Employment Law for Washington

Q: My boss altered my time sheet to diduct hours worked on my first day. What should I do?

On my first day (blockedname) changed my time sheet to say I worked a lunch for a 5 hr shift, the company will have records/video of me working, I was told no lunch today because it was only a 5 hr shift. They changed the time card saying I took a lunch before I had even taken my first break of 15min around 4pm. I dont have any money set aside so I cannot afford to lose those job, I will lose my home. I'm stuck because I can't leave the job but this doesn't seem legal.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brad S Kane
Brad S Kane
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: First, you should keep your own written records of your work and your meal and rest breaks as well as take pictures of your time cards.

Second, since you need this job to pay your bills, you are afraid of retaliation and the statute of limitations is measured in years, you should begin to look for another job and file a written complaint, when you either: (i) have another job lined up; or (ii) have saved enough money to get by until you have another job if you are wrongfully terminated for asking about your wages.

Third, before you send your written complaint, you should consult a lawyer. Most provide free consultations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.