Charlotte, NC asked in Consumer Law and Collections for North Carolina

Q: A civil judgment was placed against me on September 6, 2011.

A civil judgment was placed against me on September 6, 2011. I have not made payments on that judgment and still owe the money. Last week I received a civil summons regarding that judgment. I am assuming since it has been 10 years that they are “renewing” that judgment. If I do not respond to the complaint a default judgment will be placed against me and that judgment will be valid for another 10 years, correct?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Yes, you are absolutely correct. You should contact an experienced collection defense and consumer bankruptcy attorney for specific advice. Bankrupty may be the best option - or not. You need to understand all of your options, and a bankruptcy attorney will explain the pros and cons of all options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.