Cincinnati, OH asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Juvenile Law for Ohio

Q: I'm 17. I plan to run away from home and from my abusive parents. What can my parents do then?

Can my parents force me back home? Can people harboring me be punished?

I doubt that I can prove any instance of abuse, but, even knowing how dangerous living on the streets is, I would rather be homeless than live with my parents. That said, I may be able to get a friend to take me in, at least temporarily.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If someone assists you in running away, they could get into trouble. So before doing anything, talk to a teacher, school counselor, or other trusted adult about your situation. They are the people in the best position to find help for you in this difficult situation. And they will help you. So talk to them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.