Phoenix, AZ asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: What’s the process of filing for a divorce in Union County NJ. Timelines, pricing etc. thank you

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I dont want to come off disrespectfully, but no lawyer can answer the question without having a clear understanding of the issues outstanding to help determine a fair timeline for resolution of your case. As a simple example, if you and your spouse have a clear written agreement resolving all issues outstanding, then the matter can be over in a few short months. If there are issues outstanding and you and your spouse disagree on how to resolve them, then it will take time to work through those issues to see if a peaceful resolution can be attained. And, in a worst case scenario where there are serious and material issues outstanding and the case will require a trial, then you are looking at approximately 2 1/2 years from the date of the filing of the complaint for divorce for the court to give you realistic trial dates.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.