Los Angeles, CA asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for California

Q: What type of lawsuit would I have if someone never returned $24,000?

A person I was with in Las Vegas put something in my drink and “borrowed” a large sum of money. He’s since admitted he owes it to me but is not paying.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: you probably need a civil litigator.

however, the amount is to small for most lawyers to take this on a contingency.

it sounds like an hourly case and would not be worthwhile for you to do this.

if you can't collect, sue for $10k in small claims and waive the difference.

i assume there is nothing in writing.???

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.