Cincinnati, OH asked in Family Law and Elder Law for Ohio

Q: My mom is 79. She has giving up on the will to live, but will not give my 3 sisters or I power of Attorney

She sits in her own Feeses & Filth until one of us show up & check on her.

She still has her mind, but we want to know what we can do to get her help. Everyone says without Power of Attorney we cant do anything.

What can we do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You can file for a guardianship in the probate court. Check the probate court web site for the guardianship process, and use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local probate attorney who handles guardianships to advise you. You can also call local senior services to assist until the the guardianship process is finished.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.