Newark, NJ asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Traffic Tickets for New York

Q: NYS Trooper stopped me,told him license was susp.were in a safe place he had me move car to store can he still ticket

I was stopped today due to a car riding to close so I sped up to get him away from me cop clocked me at 86 in a 65. When he turned on lights I took exit ramp an pulled over when safe as I had my child in car. I told him immediately my license is suspended. He still proceeded to have me drive my vehicle to a gas station knowing I did not have license. My question is can he still be able to ticket me for driving on a suspended license even though he made me move my vehicle knowing a licensed driver was on way? He didn't stop other vehicle for following dangerously close just mine when it was clear way i had to speed up.

1 Lawyer Answer
Toshinori Isoai
Toshinori Isoai
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • New City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: The police officer's reason to stop you was the alleged speeding and your license was suspended at that time. That's how you would have received the summons for both speeding and operation while suspended. The officer's request to move your car after that won't change the situation unless he issued you a second summons for driving while suspended. Also, a police officer in NYS has the discretion as to which vehicle he stops, and there is no law that says he has to stop all the vehicles "allegedly" committing traffic offenses; he only needs to stop one in a safely manner.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.