Seattle, WA asked in Car Accidents for Washington

Q: I have a felony vehicular assault and it’s been 10 years with nothing else on my record, can I petition to lower it?

My public defender convinced me taking a strike 1 vehicular assault was more so in my best interest than a dui charge and now 10 years later I’d really like to not be a violent felon!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Tacoma, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: It probably depends on how the case was charged and plead. Vehicular Assault is a class B felony, so ten years would be the waiting period to vacate. But there are three different ways to commit the crime of Vehicular Assault, my opinion is that one of them is eligible to vacate but the other two are not, ever. Two of the versions of Vehicular Assault are categorized as "violent" offenses, and those cannot be vacated. Commonly in the plea "bargain" process charges are reduced or modified, so I think a lawyer would have to pull the court records from your individual case to give a reliable opinion on your eligibility.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.