Fort Lauderdale, FL asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Personal Injury for Georgia


Section d.. I need more clarity about the unnamed party..

It’s almost 60 days no response and liability was already accepted 100%.

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael W. Horst
Michael W. Horst
  • Insurance Claims Lawyer
  • Alpharetta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Section (d) discussing the "unnamed party" pertains to the insurance company for the person who caused the damages to your property.

In other words, since the insurance company failed to make a good faith effort to settle with you, your next step is to file a law suit against the tortfeasor (i.e., the person who caused the damage to your property). At the same time you file suit against the tortfeasor, you should serve the insurance company with the same suit papers that you served on the tortfeasor. Then, in the event you receive a verdict against the tortfeasor for an amount equal to or in excess of the amount you demand, you can then to have the judge or jury make a determination as to whether the insurance company acted in bad faith in the handling or adjustment of the attempted settlement of your claim. The insurance company is not made known to the jury until AFTER you have received a verdict against the tortfeasor for an amount equal to or in excess of the amount you demand.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.