Rome, GA asked in Real Estate Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Probate for Georgia

Q: i have a confusing question

okay say this woman and man were married but only his name was on the house deed. They divorced and he married another woman. They seperate and he gets back with previous wife. but never divorces the other woman. but him and the first wife get back together (even though he still married to the other lady) they stay together for another 30 years. He passes away and the deed to the house was only in his name. He was in process of adding her to the deed before he passed suddenly. Now by law the spouse is whom everything would go to if there were no written will. meaning the house deed and everything would be basically the woman he still was married legally to. The /legal wife says she wants no part of the house, or the deed or anything. Says she will sign papers stating she wants no part in it and wants the /woman who has lived in this home to be on the deed. What is the proper way of handling this matter to take care of this situation?When one lives in Ga and the other in New York.

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael D. Birchmore
Michael D. Birchmore
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The answer to your question is very simple. With all the respect I can muster, you MUST meet with a real estate attorney to ensure that this effort is done properly. If it isn't, you will forever regret your mistake.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.