Baton Rouge, LA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for North Carolina

Q: My son is 15, he resides in North Carolina with his father. I live in louisiana, we have joint custody he has physical

This was my son's choice. He has since sent my son to live with his ex and will not allow him back in his house to live. I want to bring him home to Louisiana. Can I just go get him and is this legal for him to do? My son tried to go back home to his house on Sat and was told he could not stay and was sent back to the ex house on Sunday morning.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeffrey Berman
Jeffrey Berman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Greensboro, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: The answer to your question depends if there is a custody order in place. Both parents are required to follow any Court orders. If one or both parents wish to change the order, a motion needs to be followed with the Courts. If both parents are in agreement, a consent order signed by both parents can be executed. If there is no custody order, either parent may decide the child's living arrangements.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.