Boston, MA asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Maryland

Q: How to get a liquor license for a party bus?

What statutes and licenses allow for the consumption of alcohol on a party bus and/or mobile bar?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Each county and the City of Balitomore has its own liquor board license regulations for sale of liquor within their jurisdictions, so you will need to check with each jurisdiction in which you intend to operate. You will have to check with each liquor license board whether a license is required to specifically permit the commercial sale of alcohol to paying passengers, and service bars, in a mobile vehicle operating on the public roads. Maryland's transportation laws prohibit open consumption of alcohol and open containers of alcohol in moving vehicles, by passengers as well as drivers, but the law grants an exception to commercial vehicles for hire like buses and limousines that serve or allow consumption of alcohol to the passengers. I am familiar with "bar crawl" tour buses, that drive paying passengers from bar to bar where the customers unload at each bar, drink for a while, then travel to the next bar on the route. That type of commercial enterprise is allowed, but again, you would have to check in each local jurisdiction for any restrictions that may apply.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.