Corona, CA asked in Consumer Law for California

Q: How do I view the Exhibits filed with Complaint by collection company/debt buyer? I was served via USPS mail 12/02/2021

Sued by Calvary for a debt I allegedly have with Citibank. But I have no idea what account theyre talking about. Citibank is not on my credit reports for 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018. How could I have a charge off thats already deleted by original creditor? What can I do? Im filing my answer but how can I respond if I have no information of this debt? Exhibits A and B were filed along with complaint but I cant view online and packet they mailed to me also had black sheets labeled Exhibit A. B. How do I view them>

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Studio City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you cannot pull the documents from the court online system, you can ask opposing counsel to email you another clean/clear copy or you can go down to the courthouse and ask for the documents to be printed by the clerk's office (for a fee). It's not clear whether you are claiming the debt is not yours or you don't remember whether it is yours. Was it on your credit before 2018 or never? It makes a big difference in such cases, especially when filing an answer. If the debt is not yours, the creditor could be violating fair debt collections act but you will want to talk to a consumer protection attorney that understands this area of law and can review everything. You have to act fast because you only have 30 days to answer once you've been served.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.