Asked in Family Law for Virginia

Q: My state's age for emancipation is 16. I am 14 and would like to be emancipated. Is there a way that I can do this?

My stepdad molests me and my mom doesn't believe me because she believes that I will just try and say anything to get rid of him. Little does she know that this is the reason I don't like him. I had suicidal thoughts at first, but then I found out about emancipation. I am financially independent already and perfectly able to provide for myself.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sonja Aoun
Sonja Aoun
  • Tysons Corner, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: I am so sorry to hear that you are experiencing something like this. If you don't think you can talk to your mom, then please talk to a trusted adult or the school counselor right away about this. In Virginia, you can also call this hotline to report abuse: (800) 552-7096.

If your mother doesn't believe you, or you can't get help from the school counselor, then try the school nurse, a teacher, or a coach you trust.

Please also call 1-800-273-8255 if you ever finding yourself thinking about hurting yourself or suicide. People want to help you and it's very important that you reach out.

Virginia does not allow for emancipation of minors under age sixteen, but you shouldn't have to wait to get out of a bad situation.

This is a problem you shouldn't try to handle on your own, so please ask for help until you are heard.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.