Fort Wayne, IN asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Identity Theft for Florida

Q: My cousin stole many valuable things of my home that belong to me and my husband including our social security cards e….

My cousin is so jealous of me and my husband lying to authorities about us both. What legal actions can I take?

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Your inquiry indicates that you writing from Indiana but directing it to Fla. attorneys. If this is an Indiana matter, you must direct your inquiry to Indiana attorneys. If it's a Fla. matter, more facts would be needed to evaluate this and determine what actions can or should be taken. Of course, IN GENERAL, theft may be reported to law enforcement for them to determine if there should be an arrest, and if a prosecution ensues, the prosecutor may seek restitution (reimbursement/compensation), and in general, you can sue in civil court for return of taken items (called a repevin suit) and/or for money damages. Regarding the issue of lying to authorities, the issue there is whether you have a potential case for defamation of character, and if so, whether it would be worthwhile to pursue. (A good portion of defamation claims are not worthwhile.)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.