League City, TX asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Collections and Energy, Oil and Gas for Texas

Q: How do I get out of a bad solar contract?

We got ripped off by a solar company in 2020, when we were busy working 16+ hour days while taking care of kids at home. The salesperson said that the panels would cover 100% of our electric needs but it only covers 75% at best and the payments are as much as the electric costs without solar. The contract cost is above market costs for the system we got and will never pay for itself. The finance company put a UCC filing on the property and refuses to help us even though they know we were ripped off. Is there a way we can just remove the panels and UCC filing? Is there a way to just get out of the contract? I have documentation on everything.

1 Lawyer Answer
Aimee Hess
Aimee Hess
  • Energy, Oil & Gas Law Lawyer
  • Streetman, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: unfortunately, you can't simply "remove" a UCC financing statement. It has to be done either by court order after a lawsuit or by agreement of the parties. What your rights are regarding these representations depends in large part on what your contract with the solar panel company says. There are Texas statutes such as the Consumer Protection Act which may give you remedies depending on how your contract is worded. You are best advised to have an attorney review the contract and the representations made by the salesman to see if you have a claim under Texas law. Then, a demand letter requesting termination of the contract and removal of the financing statement can be sent to the solar panel company. If the demand letter does not get you results, you may need to file suit.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.