Dayton, OH asked in Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Ohio

Q: Hello I'm 15 now and I read about a emancipation I was wondering how I could do that because my parents are to strict

My mom uses my diabetes as a excuse for me not to walk places even though I have a phone if something bad happens then she said if I get a job and buy my own car and get a license she is going to call the police if i go somewhere by car or walk but I would be 16 when I do all this and what would the police do in just trying to be a normal 15 and 16 year old she also said she wont let me get a job

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Every teen thinks their parents are too strict. But Ohio does not allow a minor to seek emancipation. Emancipation cannot be accomplished by an act of the child alone. Emancipation is generally through the act of the child's parents regarding terminating child support for that child. A minor cannot “become emancipated” simply by petitioning the court. Ohio law does not allow for such a request, although some other states do allow minor children to file a petition asking the court find that they are emancipated. So talk to a teacher, school counselor, or other trusted adult about your situation. See this link:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.