Stockton, CA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for California

Q: I have 50/50 legal and 100% custodial of my son his dad won't all us to get him a passport. What do I need to do

The father does not have a legitimate fear of travel he is strictly disgruntled. What form and how do I file for a motion to get a judge to approve my son getting a passport

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tobie B. Waxman
Tobie B. Waxman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Culver City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: This forum cannot be used in this manner; i.e. to be instructed on how to practice law. If you do not want to hire an attorney to assist you, you can use the court's self-help link on the Superior Court's website. What you will need is a Request for order either to modify custody so that you have sole legal custody, or to get a court order allowing you to apply for the passport without the other parent's permission. The passport office (or post office - depending on where you are applying) will require some kind of court order that allows you to apply for the passport without the other parent's written consent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.