Montgomery, TX asked in Divorce, Bankruptcy, Real Estate Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Texas

Q: Divorce court said he needed to take me off the home. He never did. The house is about to foreclose.

I don’t have the money to fly to Oregon and get another lawyer to force him to refinance. I also learned he put the home in forbearance while the divorce was still processing. So now he has to either pay back 30 grand before he can refinance OR have me agree to sign papers to put that money on the back of the loan so that he can refinance and take my name off the house. This was a very BAD divorce that took years. Domestic violence and a ton of threats. I do NOT trust him to refinance after the fact. He is also doing illegal activities and I don’t want to be liable for it while awaiting the refinance. Can I just file bankruptcy and get my name off that house and all the ridiculous debts from the divorce? I really need an answer and I cannot afford to fly across the US to deal with court in Oregon. In the meantime since my name is still on that house and he gets raided will I be liable?

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: You need to consult your divorce attorney and move to hold him in contempt in the divorce case. He will likely have to hold you harmless on the debt regardless.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.