Asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut

Q: Hi I live in Connecticut I was denied my pistol permit today due to a misdeameanor drug charge

It was for less than 1 gram of weed I was never arrested just detained and ticketed it was also over 3 years ago just wondering if it is worth the appeal or what I should do im kind of stuck

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lindy R. Urso
Lindy R. Urso
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Stamford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: Rather than appeal, you may want to hire a lawyer to try to reopen that old ticket and withdraw guilty / nolo plea. Once it's gone, you can reapply. The problem happened because, when possession of weed was a Misdemeanor, it was a disqualifier for a permit. When they decriminalized marijuana possession, the new infraction was under the same statute number; and that statute number is still a disqualifier for the permit. I'd recommend Attorney Christian Young, of Cohen & Wolf in Bridgeport.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.