Wake Forest, NC asked in Divorce and Family Law for North Carolina

Q: If I borrowed the loan for the house and the deed is on both names, can I leave that house due to substance abuse.

We also have a 10 yr old child. I want him to leave the house.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela L. Haas
Angela L. Haas
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You can leave the house anytime you want. You will still be liable to pay the loan, however. If there is a substance abuse issue, there are other ways to force him to leave (if the right facts apply). Consult with a family law attorney about your options, and take that opportunity to have a discussion about the relevant facts associated with your issue. After obtaining more information from you, the attorney will be in a better position to answer your question relative to YOUR situation (not just a general situation).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.