Marksville, LA asked in Consumer Law, Civil Rights, Collections and Small Claims for Louisiana

Q: My husband was arrested for 29 counts of worthless checks from 1996 isn’t there a statue of limitations In Louisiana

I was told the limitations is ten yrs and he should not have been arrested he was arrested 2 wks ago in Evangeline parish for a warrenton worthless checks

1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: First thing you need to do is hire a criminal defense attorney in your area as an attorney would be in the best position to assist you in this matter and to help you get the best result possible. In this instance you indicate that you were arrested on a warrant----was that a warrant from a failure to appear in court or was that an arrest warrant? That potentially makes a big difference on a statute of limitations (prescription) defense and one of the reasons you need to hire a criminal defense attorney. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.