Louisiana Small Claims Questions & Answers

Q: What kind of attorney I need to sue Walmart for messing up my car?

1 Answer | Asked in Products Liability, Insurance Defense, Intellectual Property and Small Claims for Louisiana on
Answered on Jun 29, 2018
Peter N. Munsing's answer
If you have a receipt make several copies. Never give the original. Get an estimate from a mechanic as to what is needed to fix it.

Q: How do i go about getting my exboyfriend out of my home? I rented my home way before he came into the picture.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Louisiana on
Answered on Dec 21, 2017
Christie Tournet's answer
If he is not on the lease, then he does not have a right to be there. However, without the Lessor cooperating, it may be difficult to force him to leave, as the landlord is the one with ownership rights and can force an eviction. So, check to see if the lease shows him as tenant also and if the Lessor will cooperate. Also, if he is staying without paying rent, then you have a claim for unjust enrichment. See if you can get him to move by threatening an unjust enrichment claim for all months...

Q: My belongings were stolen from a storage I was renting, what type of legal action can I take ?

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims, Landlord - Tenant and Consumer Law for Louisiana on
Answered on Jul 16, 2017
Christie Tournet's answer
First, I am very sorry to hear of your circumstances. My condolences to your family during such a difficult time. As to the storage facility, the lease you signed will govern your available remedies. Most, contain waivers and require you to sign a waiver releasing the facility from liability. But, certain circumstances may be able to overcome that, if they broke one of their obligations, i.e. did a gate malfunction? lack of security when promised? Also, sometimes homeowner's and renter's...

Q: A guy broke my iphone but agreed to pay on video. He has also agreed via chat. But he is now avoiding me.

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Products Liability and Small Claims for Louisiana on
Answered on Feb 11, 2017
Brian Lehman's answer
Yes. "An individual may file any money claim under the amount of $3,000 on the Clerks Docket; all other claims are filed under the Civil Suits." https://www.lincolnparish.org/clerkofcourt/pages/civil.html

Q: How much does it cost to have an attorney represent me in a suit over a debt (New Orleans area)?

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Small Claims for Louisiana on
Answered on Aug 19, 2016
Robert Martin Louque Jr's answer
It usually depends on the amount you are being sued for and the court in which you are being sued. It can be as low as $600.00 and as high as $2,000 or more not including the court costs. Every attorney has a different fee structure. Some will charge a fixed fee and some will charge an hourly fee.

Q: My friend has my vehicle, which he agreed to pay for and did not, and will not return it. Can I pursue legal action?

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Louisiana on
Answered on Jul 30, 2015
Adam Studnicki's answer
More information is needed to answer. A local contacts, business or consumer protection lawyer can assist.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is general information that is given for legal education only. It is not legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the relevant facts and documents. I...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.