Sunbury, OH asked in Employment Law for Ohio

Q: Pay from Employer

I was recently offered a promotion at my job that included a monthly bonus and hourly rate increase on December 1, 2021 at which time I accepted via email. However, the promotion was still being processed and I never signed any official documents. Beginning in January, our company took away our bonus’ , company wide, and provided us with hourly rate increases to compensate. So with this happening, my promotion pay had to be rediscussed. The adjustment however did not equal out to the same gross income that the December offer equaled. In fact, when averaging in the monthly bonus it was equal to a $2.70/hr pay decrease than I was just offered in December. This does not seem like something my employer should be able to do.

To add a little more information, the bonus is not outlined or mentioned in my employment contract, only my hourly rate. However, the bonus has became something that is pretty relied on as the 4 years I have worked for the company it has rarely not been received

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rebecca Hill
Rebecca Hill
  • Columbus, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Unless you have an employment contract or a union collective bargaining agreement that says otherwise, your employer can adjust or reduce your hourly rate of pay at anytime. However, employers cannot reduce an hourly employee's pay below minimum wage for all hours worked in a workweek.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.